[Nolug] XDM - Debian Question

From: G. Meyers <glue2_at_burntmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 05:53:32 +0000

I installed Debian 3.0 not too long ago. Changed source from stable to testing, did an apt-get update and upgrade. Decided to get XFree86 so I did an "apt-get install x-window-system". This installed XDM. Don't really care too much for XDM and would either like to remove it or at least install either GDM or KDM in its place.

How do I go about removing XDM? When I start Debian, it imediately goes to the graphical log in screen. If I go to xterm and issue an apt-get remove XDM, will that mess things up as I am basically runing XDM when I issue that command? (Hope that makes sense.)

Or, is it easier to apt-get KDM (for example), have debconf configure the system for its use then apt-get remove XDM. Either way, I think I want XDM off the system.

As you can probably tell, I am somewhat new to this. Any suggestions on how to go about removing XDM would be much appreciated.

Thanks.