Re: [Nolug] XDM - Debian Question

From: entropy_at_r00tserverz.net
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 17:02:43 -0600

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 01:12:35PM -0600, James Scott wrote:

> First if this is true it is terribly un-*NIX of them to arrange it this
> way. I have never seen any documentation that supports run levels as
> you describe here. This however does not mean it is not true.
> Second, how can we check if this is accurate. We must be able to find a
> command that tells what run level we are at. I can't think of one right
> now.

"runlevel"

> I have done much maintenance on many different flavors of UNIX less on
> Linux. In general even though there is some differences of approach
> (config files having differents names or certain services running at
> different levels) most things are more similar than we are finding here.
> Third (and I hope we agree here) XDM is not necessary for X at all. It
> is just the login screen. Once one is "logged in" as a user of any type
> starting an Xclient should not require a *DM of any type.
> Fourth access to run levels other than 3 or 5 should only be available
> to root. I would not like end users to be able to control such a thing
> on my box.

x-window-system, a "meta" package, does depend on xdm, because it is
supposed to be a package which merely has dependencies such that if
they are filled, you will have a complete X system with a display
manager. Removing "x-window-system" does not remove you X installation
at all. (try it: apt-get remove --dry-run xdm). Dependencies aren't
such that you need xdm to run X.

Just FYI, if you want to quickly find out what packages depend on each
other, you can do "apt-cache depends xdm" (gives you the dependencies
xdm has) or "apt-cache rdepends xdm" (gives you the packages which depend
on xdm)