Re: [Nolug] camera card reader

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:09:05 -0600

On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 09:33, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
> Manuel Lora <vanguardist@cox.net> writes:
>
> > For simple devices, you all seem to be trying too hard. Just
> > autoload the modules (all the ones you need) when the computer
> > boots. Then you don't need a) kernel hotplug support or b) any
> > userland tools.
>
> Fair enough. But, to me, the point is to be able to plug something
> in and have it "just work" without restricting myself to a static set
> of devices.
>
> Using usbmgr and autofs, all I have to do is plug a card reader in and
> look at the mount point (in, say, nautilus). Voila! It shows up and I
> have permission to read and write whatever is there.

Ah, autofs.

Then I wonder what is the difference between usbmgr and hotplug?

According to Debian, usbmgr and hotplug conflict with each other.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA
In 1929, when the Great Depresion hit, while all the other
tabulating companies retrenched, Thomas Watson Sr. insisted that
IBM's factories stay open and R&D spending increase. Thus, in
1935 when FDR signed the Social Security Act, and businesses and
gov't had a huge need for tabulating/sorting machines, IBM was in
position to dominate the industry, and did so for the next 45
years.