Re: [Nolug] Fedora and wlan - dlink dwl-520

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 11:27:04 -0600

On Thursday 11 March 2004 10:47, gonzeaux bevarde spake:
> So I'm playing around with Fedora having heard some good things about it. I
> have to say I'm impressed that it recognized the wireless card (well, sort
> of) and installed the chipset drivers.

Do "tail -f /var/log/messages", then insert the wireless card and see what
output you get. If you want to post the relevant data here, we might could
help you decipher it.

<snip>

> If anyone has any "gotchas" I'll try and include them when I wiki the
> experience on nolug.org. One of the things I'm trying to do is not drop
> back to CLI and manually edit the conf files - this may be impossible, but
> would be worth a shot for other n00b13s.

Hmm... I don't have qualms about writing small scripts to be run as root that
bring up my network card with settings for whatever network I'm plugged into:

#!/bin/bash
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.20 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
route add default gw 192.168.1.1

Plugging into a new network? No biggie, just copy that script and change the
numbers, and you're good to go.

"I may have invented it, but Bill made it famous."
 --- David Bradley, the IBM employee that invented CTRL-ALT-DEL