RE: [Nolug] Bad monitor

From: Chris Reames <chris_at_drugfreemro.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 16:26:45 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nolug@joeykelly.net [mailto:owner-nolug@joeykelly.net]On
Behalf Of John Tiedeman
Sent: Friday, March 19, 2004 12:57 PM
To: nolug@joeykelly.net
Subject: [Nolug] Bad monitor

I lent my friend on the MS coast my spare monitor and brought his here for
further testing. It has a habit of going to a single bright line from side
to side in the middle of the screen. I had previously found that slapping it
onthe side or rocking it back and forth on its base would take care of the
problem, at least temporarily. Today I found it wasn't lasting but a few
seconds but found pushing or pulling on the top of the bezel is much more
effective. Anyone know if the CRT itself is bad, or what?

I have worked on CRT's before, BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL if you open the case.
Basically its a huge capacitor and can fry your brains even if it hasn't
been plugged in in a while.
ONLY hold it by the plastic around the front of the tube, and place the
exposed monitor on a nonconductive surface.
The plastic foot works well in most cases.
That being said, you can adjust the potentiometers to resolve most issues
with distorted images.
Obviously, this has to be done while the monitor is on. THIS CAN KILL YOU,
so if your not comfortable with cracking the monitor open, call it dead and
buy a new one.
If you insist on trying the adjustments, use a long Philips screwdriver with
a wooden handle. The potentiometers are usually close to the front toward
the outside of the circuitry.
Gently turn the screw head, as they will strip easily. You will have to try
various combinations, but most functions will be obvious.
I kept an old 14" (horizontal) monitor working for 2 years...eventually, I
had to cut a hole in the case and constantly adjust it.
It just depends on what its worth to you (or your friend).

I would be happy to check it out for you if you like.
No warranty, no charge.
Let me know.