RE: [Nolug] linux firewall distro's that support ip aliasing withport forwarding

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 16:52:08 -0600

On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 15:41, David J wrote:
> > Apache under Windows? But from the tone of your email, it sounds
> >like Apache is on Linux.
>
> Yep, Apache is on Linux.
>
> > Why not? Have 2 NICs in the server, each configured for dhcp (or
> >a static address, depending on your service). Have the crossover
> >cable from the cable modem go to a switch, and have 2 wires going
> >"out" of the switch, one going to eth0, and the other to eth1.
>
> Yeah, that seems like the best thing to do; I just wasn't sure I could
> do it like that. Thanks for the suggestion.

But even that doesn't seem necessary.

How about this:
A crossover cable from the cable modem to eth0 of a firewall, and
a straight-thru cable from the firewall's eth1 to a switch.

You then connect the switch to both the Linux/Apache server and
the Windows/IIS server.

The iptables initialization script on the firewall shouldn't be
that complicated, and one script could handle both IP addresses,
with judicious use of modularity & parameters.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA
YODA: Code! Yes. A programmer's strength flows from code
maintainability. But beware of Perl. Terse syntax... more than
one way to do it...default variables. The dark side of code
maintainability are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you
when code you write. If once you start down the dark path,
forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.