RE: [Nolug] Help please

From: John Souvestre <johns_at_sstar.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 17:48:39 -0500

Hi Chris.

Hope this helps.

1) For every IP address in use there should be a name (reverse lookup).
    Note: Many violate this rule. Thus you should only try to enforce it
in limited circumstances (known group of users).

2) For every name in use there should be an IP address.
    Note: This is always the case, else the name would not be usable.

3) Multiple names can point to the same IP address.

4) An IP address can only point to one name. This name should be one of
the names which points to the IP address.

Thus, when someone id's with a name and you look it up, then reverse it, you
might end up with a different name. This is OK.

John

    John Souvestre - Southern Star - (504) 888-3348 - www.sstar.com