Re: [Nolug] SPF trial run: please notify me if you find problems

From: -ray <ray_at_ops.selu.edu>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 23:24:34 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004, Joey Kelly wrote:

> Yeah, but there are problems with it. For instance, I have to sent outgoing
> mail for 3 other domains besides this one, from my house. Unless I'm the
> admin and have rights to the DNS zonefiles, or am a linux geek and have ways
> of going around obstacles that normal users don't (because they're on windows
> and/or don't have the 1337 5ki11z necessary), I wouldn't be able to do it if
> SPF were implemented for those domains.

Yes there will be some growing pains. But when you setup those 3 domains,
you also had MX records set up, pointing to a mail server with a static
IP, right? You just need an SPF on those domains pointing back to your
mail server. If that's an inconvenience, sorry. That 60% of all email is
garbage, spam and virii is also a slight inconvenience for mail admins.
Setting up new domains, you'll get MX and SPF by default. But
retrofitting the millions of domains already out there with SPF will be
quite a task for DNS admins...

ray