Re: [Nolug] rc.local on Suse?

From: -ray <ray_at_ops.selu.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 13:55:15 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004, Brad Bendily wrote:

> > <mmlj4> um, i need to script commands at boot (relating to my network), but
> > boot.local isn't working for me as this script is run before the network
> > comes up. Where can I put my commands, please?
> > <the_dude> create a new script and run it after network script
> > <mmlj4> fair enough... how do I get it to run?
> > <mmlj4> or where is the network script run from?
> > <the_dude> put it in rc3.d and rc5.d and number it accordingly
>
> It's a great idea, but seems like a bit of overkill for adding
> a simple command that needs to be started at bootup?

I wouldn't just add the network script. Create a rc.local, then put it in
the rc3.d and rc5.d directories. Now just add the network stuff and
anything you want to rc.local. Not sure how Suse init is setup, but on
Solaris you just symlink /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S99rclocal -> /etc/rc.local or
something like that. Then rc.local would run last in runlevel 3. On AIX
to get an rc.local, the convention is to add it to /etc/inittab like so:
rclocal:2:wait:/etc/rc.local >/dev/console 2>&1

Just another way to do it...

ray