links to qmail queue fix apps was Re: [Nolug] qmail backup strategy

From: John Hebert <johnahebert_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 07:39:31 -0700 (PDT)

--- Dustin Puryear <dpuryear@usa.net> wrote:
> The real trick with qmail is that you can't restore
> files straight from a
> backup. The filename of files in a qmail queue are
> based on the inodes.
> During a restore the chances of you restoring to the
> same inode are close to
> zero, so the restored filename will be wrong. There
> are tools that will
> rename the files appropriately that are linked to at
> the qmail website. Be
> sure to get familiar with one of them before you
> need to do a real restore.

Ah, I didn't know that. Thanks for keeping me
straight!

Here is the info that Dustin mentioned, which I found
on one of the mirrored sites on http://www.qmail.org.
I assume all of the mirrored sites listed are in sync
(man, that's a screwy way to do that). I've copied the
_embedded_links_ below the quote:

# Eric Huss has released _queue-fix 1.4_. It repairs
or generates a qmail queue structure. You can use this
to help move your queue location, or if you regenerate
the file system and the inode numbering changes. It
will also fix permissions and ownerships of the files.
Eric reports that Matthew Harrell wrote a
_patch_to_queue-fix_ which makes it work with Russ
Nelson's _big-todo_ patch. Patches upon patches!
# Harald Hanche-Olsen has a shell/awk/gnu-find script
which _renames_a_queue_so that it has the right
filenames (corresponding to inodes).

http://www.netmeridian.com/e-huss/queue-fix.tar.gz
http://qmail.area.com/queue-fix-todo.patch
http://qmail.area.com/top.html#big-todo