RE: [Nolug] X11 port open?

From: -ray <ray_at_ops.selu.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 16:13:56 -0500 (CDT)

> What I don't understand is why would I want that
> port open?
> I guess I would need it open to do X11 forwarding?
> Ok so I just tested that and no, you don't need
> port 6000 to do X11 forwarding. So just what
> is port 6000 for? and why do some distro's ship
> with the port open?

I think you'd need it open for traditional X11 forwarding, ie you telnet
to another machine, set DISPLAY back to your machine, and run an X
program. Nowadays most distributions setup X11 forwarding over ssh. So
when you ssh into a box, DISPLAY is automatically set to 'localhost:10.0'
or something similar. Run an X program and it connects to the localhost X
server which is just an ssh tunnel back to your machine over port 22....so
you don't need port 6000. Tunneling X over ssh is a much more secure way
of doing things.

ray