Re: [Nolug] Unix spam filtering w/o SpamAssassin?

From: Dustin Puryear <dpuryear_at_usa.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 10:00:34 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark A. Hershberger" <mah@everybody.org>

> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:
>
> > Since SA is written in Perl (i.e. is slow),
>
> Gee... You like language wars, don't you?
>
> The only slowness is in the startup. You can get around this by
> running SA as a daemon (via spamd) and client (spamc).
>
> Of course, if you use external DNS checks, Razor, etc., it'll still be
> slow since anything over the network is (compared to the checking SA
does).

> > and can be resource- intensive, are there any good alternatives?

I tend to agree with Mark on this, mostly from personal experience. If you
aren't using network checks with SA then you are missing half of its
benefits, and if you are using the network checks then the speed of perl's
code execution is a small problem relative to the time required to get a
response back from DCC or razor.

Running spamd rather than invoking SA for each mail will give you a big
boost. Granted, even spamd will have problem with moderate loads (e.g., 8000
mail/hr). So if you have a large mail flow you could very well be having a
problem.

Did I just go in a circle? :)

---
Puryear Information Technology, LLC
Baton Rouge, LA
225-343-3056
http://www.puryear-it.com
Author of "Best Practices for Managing Linux and UNIX Servers"
Download your free copy:
http://www.puryear-it.com/manage-linux.htm