[Nolug] Upgrading glibc on RH9

From: Roetto Mike B CONT SSGC <RoettoMB_at_SUPSHIP.NAVY.MIL>
Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 21:50:40 -0500

Hi,

On installing a fresh RH9 (Shrike) system, I wanted to install Redcarpet to
get the latest patches.

RPM said I need the latest glibc libraries to install redcarpet, so I
downloaded the appropriate RH9 RPMs (glibc,glibc-common,glibc-devel) from
rpmfind.net .

RPM dies during the install with "error running scriptlet" , and on reboot
refuses to boot up (lots of miscellaneous pre-multi-user errors)

The fix we found was to install the entire Ximian desktop, which seems to
get the correct glibc versions.

Question is , has anyone found an easier way to get just Redcarpet without
installing the full Ximian? I like to have some systems "GUI-less" with
remote terminal only.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-mike