Re: [Nolug] VoIP routers for $70 and a little work

From: Petri Laihonen <pietu_at_weblizards.net>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 15:48:54 -0500 (CDT)

> That is because most third world countries, and even Europe and Asia, do
> not have the extensive wired infrastructure that we enjoy in the US.

Even wired infrastructure (technologically) is behind over here. I'm not
sure about the current state of the local switches and stuff, (Some must
be digital already for adsl) but one of the so called culture shocks for
me was the bad sound quality in the land lines and analog
technology.(naturally related to each other) (Also all the noise and voice
bleeeding over)

In Finland our last analog phone switch was retired about 20 years ago.

> I took a wireless course a few months ago where we discussed, in great
> detail, the intricate details of layer 1 802.11 and cellular (CDMA, TDMA,
> GSM) networks. The extreme complexity and what can only be described as
> hardcore hacking that it takes to make those networks run is mind
> boggling. When someone has problems with a wireless device and asks "Why
> doesn't this work?", your first response should be "Why the hell should
> it?" :)

But these can be implemented correctly.
For instance simple wireless feature SMS. The failure rate within northern
american operators average 10%. (Some areas T-mobile and Fido way over
10%). My peers in europe were amazed of these numbers due to the same
numbers over there are under 0.5%.

Petri