[Nolug] MySQL Help?

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 00:54:40 -0400

I've got a MySQL question for the gurus out there.

A table periodically locks up (no one can query it). Running strace
on the existing mysql processes that are attempting to access the
table (using "fuser /db/database/table.MYD") shows one process
processing a lot of data and all the others evidently blocking while
they wait on that process to complete.

Prior to my changes, these problems didn't occur. After I added a
query to the queue-running cronjob that did a table join (no table
updates) the above symptoms started happening about once a day.

The query was changed from:

    SELECT * FROM tblData WHERE 1=1 AND ...

    SELECT DISTINCT tblData.* FROM tblData,zipDistances WHERE
    zip=zip_distant AND ...

Mark.

--
A choice between one man and a shovel, or a dozen men with teaspoons
is clear to me, and I'm sure it is clear to you also.