Re: [Nolug] Windows servers and nmap

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 18:28:58 -0500

On Monday 31 May 2004 3:31 pm, Wimprine, Thomas spake:
> I ran nmap against my entire network, and I need to locate servers that
> people have forgotten about. Does anyone know of a way I can grep this log
> file to return what I want. (System name and IP address) for only servers
> and not windows clients.
> Any help or suggestions would be great, otherwise I need to deal with a few
> hundred results.
> Thanks

You might try running arpwatch on your samba server, paying attemtion to who
accesses shares on it. Assuming that clients will be grabbing files, and
servers won't, any IPs not connecting over the course of a day or so are
likely targets for inspection.

"I may have invented it, but Bill made it famous."
 --- David Bradley, the IBM employee that invented CTRL-ALT-DEL