Re: [Nolug] Linux handheld?

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 20:12:29 -0500

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 16:57 -0500, -ray wrote:
> Does anyone know of a nice Linux-based handheld computer, WITH a barcode
> scanner, and with a decent SDK for the scanner? I am trying to write a
> barcode app for a Symbol PPT2800
> (http://www.symbol.com/products/mobile_computers/mobile_ppc_ppt2800.html)
> which is MS Pocket PC based.
>
> The embedded tools and SDK's from Microsoft seem ridiculously bloated and
> complicated. And there are several versions. And if you accidentally
> install the wrong version like i did, Symbol's best advice is 'find
> another development PC or reinstall the OS, as a thorough uninstall is
> almost impossible.' Great. The embedded compilers (Visual Basic and C++)
> and SDK's are free to download from MS though, which is cool.
>
> It looks like Palm has some good open-source developer stuff, but i'd
> still rather linux.

The Sharp Zaurus is the only one that I know of, but there may
be others. You can install it on an Ipaq, though.

http://www.handhelds.org/minihowto/
http://www.ipaqlinux.com/
http://familiar.handhelds.org/

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA
"Clearly the allies may not like it, and I think that's our great
concern - where's the backbone of Russia, where's the backbone of
France, where are they in expressing their condemnation of such
clearly illegal activity: they're now climbing into a box and
they will have enormous difficulty not following up on this if
there is not compliance."
John Kerry - CNN Crossfire / November 12, 1997
http://www.scoop.co.nz/mason/stories/HL0403/S00076.htm