Re: [Nolug] Restoring permissions using RPM

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 11:57:18 -0500

On Monday 14 June 2004 11:35 am, Jess Planck spake:
> Hi all, I've been lurking on this list for a while. I'm hoping someone
> may have some other suggestions or identify any problems with the
> following solution. This is a RedHat 9.0 install BTW.
>
> So you do something stupid as root like this... Don't ask.. it's
> monday... need coffee.
>
> chown -Rf dude /*
>
> This ruins the permissions on your system, and can put you in a total

You can do obvious things like chown all of /etc, /bin, /sbin and the like to
root:root, and all of home to $user:users. That's a broad brush, but most
stuff should work after that. Once you've done that, you can fine-tune from
there.

"I may have invented it, but Bill made it famous."
 --- David Bradley, the IBM employee that invented CTRL-ALT-DEL