Re: [Nolug] Restoring permissions using RPM

From: Jess Planck <jesse_at_funroe.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 12:41:58 -0500

Your suggestion was the very first thing I did incase the machine went
offline. Especially the home users and root on the file system.

I forgot to mention that It wasn't just the owner it was also the
group. I haven't had to reset permissions on a complete file system in
a long time. So many system users like postfix, mysql... not mention
device groups like sys, disk, tty, uucp, etc.

The rpm commands with --setperms and --setguid seemed to restore most
of the scary places. In the early days of rpm these commands had
issues, and I remember trying this in 1998... Had to do a complete
reinstall back then because of a runaway perl script.

Fixing system permissions isn't something that is well documented on
the net. Most folks probably opt for the manual route, or just do a
reinstall.

jess