Re: [Nolug] AC and UPSes

From: Alex McKenzie <alex_at_boxchain.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 22:01:38 -0500

James Scott wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 13:55, Alex McKenzie wrote:
>
>>Well I have no way to tell if the UPS is at 20% anyway. Well, I suppose I
>>could find/install some UPS software.
>>
>>It has drained completely a couple of times lately during storms/random
>>power outages. This is a surge problem, unless the battery is completely
>>dead, which I will check tonight.
>>
>>All I've got plugged into the ups side is a laptop, 7 port router, and a
>>DSL modem. I've got a desktop/monitor plugged into the surge only end.
>
> IMHO what you are experiencing is a low battery. When the power from
> the outlet drops suddenly the battery kicks in. If the battery is too
> low it will not support the hardware plugged into it.
> There is help for you here
> http://eu1.networkupstools.org/protocols/belkin-universal/
> This is likely to be more info than you wanted but covers Belkin UPS in
> detail.

Thanks for the informative link, but I've got the home/office model,
which is apparently 'dumb'. Also, there are 'no user serviceable parts
inside', which I guess means if it just needs a battery I'm SOL, and its
now a large heavy surge protector.

The battery is definately drained, I've removed everything and I'm going
to try and charge it with no load and see if that helps.

I just dug up the box and found that I bought it almost 2 years ago to
the day, with a 3 year warranty. Maybe I can get an exchange or something.

Thanks for all the help...A

--
Alex McKenzie     alex@boxchain.com     http://www.boxchain.com