RE: [Nolug] UT2K4

From: Nimrod <nimrod_at_cox.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:48:15 -0500

I've also came across this in the newsgroup...

I spent several hours last night working on a way to install Unreal
Tournament 2004 DVD Edition on SuSE 9.1 Pro. It had some problems, so
here are the fixes:

First, submount and the Linux installer do not play well together. It
appears that the installer is set up to attempt to call 'mount' to
mount drives after each CD's contents are extracted, regardless of
whether or not you're actually installing it from a DVD or a series of
six CD's. It also doesn't care whether or not the media is already
mounted. So when installing from DVD you'll see a bunch of "mount
failed: fstab shows media already mounted" errors. I guess the
installer guesses that if it's already mounted, you'll get a harmless
warning and can truck on.

But of course SuSE 9.1 does submounting by default, which means that
calling mount /dev/dvd will net you a big fat error code. And since
'mount' is returning an error code, the Linux UT2004 installer assumes
that you don't have a disc in the drive. *sigh*

The workaround is to comment out your DVD/CD drive entry in /etc/fstab
and replace it with a conventional mount entry. For example:
/dev/dvd /media/dvd subfs
fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0

Should be replaced with
/dev/dvd /media/dvd iso9660 user,ro 0 0

Then things should install fine.

Also the speed hacks of symlinking in your distro's libSDL and
libopenal libraries to replace UT2004's statically linked libSDL and
openal libraries kinda/sorta work in SuSE 9.1. Replacing
ut2004/System/libSDL-1.2.so.0 with a symlink to
/usr/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0 worked fine and gave me a nice speed boost,
but replacing ut2004/System/openal.so.0 with a symlink to
/usr/lib/libopenal.so.0 caused random garbage and loud pops to
randomly spew through my speakers. Reverting back to the openal.so.0
that ships with UT2004 fixed the problem, and rolling your own
openal.so.0 probably will work, too.

To any point, if you're an advocate of Linux gaming be sure and pick
up a copy of Unreal Tournament 2004... even if it's not exactly your
bag. Word is that the publishers are watching the number of Linux
clients that are connecting to servers in order to determine the
viability of Linux as a target gaming platform. I don't believe their
judging via retail sales (i.e. Best Buy as opposed to TuxGames), but
instead watching server logs.

But the question stll remains. how to edit the fstab file??? :-)

Remember I'm new to this..

Nimrod

  _____