Re: [Nolug] Instiki

From: Dave Cash <dave_at_gnofn.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 08:12:59 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004, Simon Dorfman wrote:

> I try connecting to http://www.mydomainname.tld:2500/
> And it times out. My webhost must not allow connections to this port.

Simon,

I think you're going to have a problem with this, given that your
web host (which is also my web host) reaps long-running user
processes. So even if you do get it configured and working, they
aren't going to let you leave it running all the time, which renders
it useless.

Also, you won't be able to bind it to port 80, as apache is already
bound to port 80 on that machine for your IPs.

In this kind of hosting environment (shared), you're going to have
to find some kind of wiki that runs as a web app under apache;
unless you change host companies or hosting plans, you can cross
stand-alone wikis off your list.

Having said that, a friend of mine recently decided to use tiki
wiki, partly because she found a hosting provider who basically just
hosts tiki wikis for $5/month. So she didn't have to install
anything; she just signed up for the account and they set up her
tiki wiki. Then she just had to configure it and start putting
content in it. I can find out info about the hosting company if
you'd like. Perhaps there is something similar out there for
instiki.

Take care,

Dave

Dave Cash Power to the People!
Frolicking in Fields of Garlic Right On-Line!
dave@gnofn.org Dig it all.