[Nolug] Convert old 486SX portable to one-diskette Linux?

From: John D. Tiedeman <jdtiede_at_sstar.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 20:53:05 -0500

My old Ambra sub-notebook, which has survived a couple of newer
notebooks, has had a dead CMOS battery for years and now the main
battery is bad, spacebar doesn't work well, but was still useful for
taking notes (such as minutes) at meetings once or twice a month, was
useless today. Windows 3.1 wouldn't display icons for either Word or
Notepad so I couldn't write anything.
    If I can get the diskette drive to work (can't tell now because when
I turned it off in haste when it wouldn't do what I wanted it gave me a
bad boot sector, which I haven't been able to overcome), is it likely
that a diskette version of Linux would work and let me write in a simple
editor like kedit (I know, that would require installing X and KDE)? I
don't want to spend any money on it, or on another notebook, because
only using it once or twice a month I can't justify it on my Social
Security budget, but I often can't read my own writing.
    Suggestions invited.