Re: [Nolug] Convert old 486SX portable to one-diskette Linux?

From: Mischa Krilov <subs_at_krilov.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 12:32:44 -0500

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 20:53:05 -0500
 "John D. Tiedeman" <jdtiede@sstar.com> wrote:
> My old Ambra sub-notebook, which has survived a couple of
> newer notebooks, has had a dead CMOS battery for years
> and now the main battery is bad, spacebar doesn't work
> well, but was still useful for taking notes (such as
> minutes) at meetings once or twice a month, was useless
> today. Windows 3.1 wouldn't display icons for either Word
> or Notepad so I couldn't write anything.

My famous laptop recently had some issues- Left mouse
button doesn't work, battery is dead, had the hard drive
out in a panic recently- and I've been playing with some of
the smaller distros. If you've got a CD drive, your best
LiveCD options are Puppy Linux, Feather Linux, or Damn
Small Linux. All are GUI, all are light, all will run from
a CD or a USB device and are good for very small
lightweight distros. I'm pretty sure that all can run
straight from RAM if needed. I believe that all can install
to a hard drive, if you've got. DSL also has a neat system
of extensions

http://www.goosee.com/puppy/
http://featherlinux.berlios.de/
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
(of particular interest)
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/486.html

Some have already mentioned Tom's Root Boot disk, but
Google's directory has a category for other floppy-sized
distros.

http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Software/Operating_Systems/Linux/Distributions/Tiny/Floppy_Sized?tc=1/

Personally, I've also used Tiny Linux to squeeze onto an
old 486 with no CD. I needed something like 15 floppies,
but it worked. It's Slackware-based, so new packages are
available.

http://tiny.seul.org/en/

Why do I have a feeling that I'm going to be doing a
presentation for this month's meeting? Don't forget, gang,
since July started on a Thursday, the meeting is this week.
 Joey, is there a topic for this month's meeting yet?

Mischa.