RE: [Nolug] long signature

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 13:49:29 -0500

On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 14:18 -0400, Petri Laihonen wrote:
> We'll see how many decades it takes for an e-mail "statements" to have
> legal standing.
>
> In Finland, if your e-mail is digitally signed, it has the legal standing.
> In other words, one can send and sign legally valid contract just by using
> an e-mail. No paper needed.

Either W or Clinton signed such a law, making digital signatures
just as valid as physical signatures

I doubt, though, if any of those 435+100+1 people (or most of
their staffers) know what a digital signature is, though.

> I do not know, however, what is the case with these "signature
> statements". Most probably nobody even bothers of doing them since Finland
> is not a sue-happy country.

> >> Since we're airing things out here, i'd like to throw in a complaint
> >> about people with the "Confidentiality" statement in their email sig.
> >> As far as I know, no one here has that, but I don't think the statement
> >> will have any legal standing anyway.
> >>
> >> Also, most emails are 1 line long, with about 30 lines of sig+conf
> >> statement.
> >>
> >> If you need it at work then use it for work, but not for posting on
> >> news groups or personal emails!
> >
> > It's usually corporate policy that all emails from said domain
> > have such lawyer-created BS.
> >
> > The solution is to use Yahoo or Gmail. But not Hotmail!
> >
> > --
> > Ron Johnson, Jr.
> > Jefferson, LA USA
> > PGP Key ID 8834C06B
> >
> > "Knowledge should be free for all."
> > Harcourt Fenton Mudd, Star Trek:TOS, "I, Mudd"

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA
PGP Key ID 8834C06B
"Go not unto the Usenet for advice, for you will be told both
yea and nay (and quite a few things that just have nothing at
all to do with the question)."
Unknown