Re: [Nolug] Gentoo Question

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 07:42:39 -0500

Nimrod wrote:
> I’m trying to install Gentoo on an Compaq EVO N600c and every time I get
> to the point to complie the Kernel the laptop will turn off.. I’m
> thinking it is overheating… Is there an way that I can enable the fan
> on the laptop for is to same on??? There is nothing in the BIOS for
> the Fan settings or power management… I’m thinking about stripping
> the systemboard out of its case and docking it to the docking station
> and having a fan on it.. lol

Try booting the gentoo livecd with "gentoo noapm noacpi" so that laptop
BIOS will ignore any PM from the OS. I'm thinking the problem may be
something else -- like RAM chip issues.

I ran Debian on one of these laptops for quite a while.

--
Scott Harney <scotth@scottharney.com>
"Asking the wrong questions is the leading cause of wrong answers"