RE: Educational TV (was Re: [Nolug] Cool wired house in Old Metairie)

From: Ron Johnson <>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 11:41:03 -0500

On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 10:20 -0500, Chris Reames wrote:
> > Here you guys go read this
> >

> > Roland
> >
> The problem with introducing anything to children (at any age) is that thing
> (if it ingages the child for more than 5 minutes) becomes a substitute to
> parental guideance. I personally have a now 7 year old that I gave her her
> first computer at 2. I played the little games WITH her and REINFORCED what
> she was learning with other activities. The simple thing is investigate the
> software and what it teaches, be involved in the learning process and follow
> up with hands on 3D games.
> (Eg. Software with a sorting game, get plastic geometric shapes (available
> at education stores) and play lets sort these.)

Excellent point.

> My major argument for 'playing' with the computer is this. Computers are
> all around us, even in McDonalds. If you introduce a thing before there is
> a fear of the thing, there will be a better chance of learning.
> (Eg. I found an old 286 compaq laptop that was of no real use. My daughter
> was trepidatious until I showed her the laptop had MS Paint. 'OH' she says
> with joy 'I use that program at school...can I use it on here too?')
> To further my point, what if your child was introduced to an AS400 or
> whatever at work. Would you A) what him or her to panic at the
> unfamiliarity, or B) Confidently look for simularities and be egar to learn
> what is being explained.
> Personally, my 7 year old is in the B category and does very well in all of
> her classes (better than her father).

Totally invalid logic. If "If you introduce a thing before there
is a fear of the thing, there will be a better chance of learning"
were true, then no one would have ever learned anything new in
the 1st place, since adults had to discover it.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA
PGP Key ID 8834C06B
"I went home with a waitress the way I always do. How was I to
know she was with the Russians, too?"

Nolug mailing list