Re: [Nolug] Debian and ATI Radeon 9200

From: Tim Kelley <entropy_at_r00tserverz.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 18:54:34 -0500

On Wednesday 28 July 2004 11:00, Friedrich Gurtler wrote:
> Heya
>
> Pretty noobish here, so bear with me. I cut out most of the spam from
> these commands so you can just see what I did.
>
> I am trying to get my ATI Radeon and Debian to play nicely together. I
> downloaded the ATI driver, and converted the rpm to a deb.

I had the same problems with ATI's drivers and my Radeon 9000 Pro, no matter
what i did, they would not compile.

I wish they would just distribute a tarball for chrissakes.

I did get my radeon working with DRI from the free Desktop Project, and the
acceleration is pretty good.

Check out dri.freedesktop.org, there is a good tutorial on getting it working.
It's pretty involved, though, you need a GL-enabled Xserver and some kernel
modules; but it is very debian friendly and they have source packages of the
modules that work great with make-kpkg and so forth and binaries for the
Xserver. I had nightmares getting my via AGP to work (but it finally did).