Re: [Nolug] cox new orleans outage?

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 18:55:49 -0500

Ron Johnson wrote:

> slashdot.org:
> 503 Service Unavailable
> The service is not available. Please try again later.

I've seen that several times from slashdot this week. A quick reload
usually proceeds.

> But then, in order to *get* that message, I have to be able to
> surf, right?
>
> These all work fine:
> http://linuxtoday.com/
> http://www.steelypips.org
> http://neurocrat.com

You're in metairie, right? My mom's PC is too and we're off of
different Headends.

I wasn't getting to anywhere on port 80 for a little over an hour. It's
working now. Using "telnet www.site.com 80" would never complete a
connection -- ie. I didn't get "Connection refused". This makes me
wonder if Cox isn't utilizing some sort of transparent proxy or using
some other web acceleration techniques. Especially since only outbound
port 80 connections were failing. The only thing else I can figure is
that somebody applied an access list on the UBR I'm attached to the
wrong side of the interface. Though why someone would be messing around
with that kind of change on a Friday evening I don't know.

I can also reach customer service now on the telephone (304-8444). I'm
wondering how these events are related. Perhaps just a high volume of
inbound calls due to the apparent outage?

--
Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
"Asking the wrong questions is the leading cause of wrong answers"