Re: [Nolug] cox new orleans outage?

From: Andrew S. Johnson <andy_at_asjohnson.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 22:13:04 -0500

On Friday 30 July 2004 9:28 pm, Joey Kelly wrote:

> > However, I can not get to http://imdb.com from my linux box. All m$
> > browsers go there with no problems. I even installed the latest mozilla,
> > and no help. Imdb.com does not even respond to ping sent from linux.
>
> On a slightly related note, I ran into a nasty problem today. It seems a
Baton
> Rouge company that does web-based medical stuff for my client does a browser
> detect and unless you're hitting the site with IE, all of the relative links
> are padded with leading backslashes. Needless to say, my 3-week-old campaign
> to switch that entire office to mozilla just came to a screeching halt.

One thing I noticed a while back was that capitalone.com wouldn't work even
when I changed the agent string, as it was using javascript to detect the
browser. So I couldn't go there with Netscape, Mozilla, or Konqueror. I had
to use IE in a VM. Originally it worked, but a few months of that and I fired
them (cut up their card). Navy Federal did the same thing, but when I
changed the agent string for them it did work. So, the moral is that changing
the agent string might work or might not.

> I didn't find a place in mozilla to change the user agent string. I might be
> able to put everyone behind a proxy that mangles the string, but I'm
> concerned that forcing everyone to surf through a proxy might break things
> here and there.

I never found one in Mozilla, either.

Andy