Re: [Nolug] cox new orleans outage?

From: Kevin Kreamer <kevin_at_kreamer.org>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 22:05:40 -0500

Joey Kelly wrote:
> On a slightly related note, I ran into a nasty problem today. It seems a Baton
> Rouge company that does web-based medical stuff for my client does a browser
> detect and unless you're hitting the site with IE, all of the relative links
> are padded with leading backslashes. Needless to say, my 3-week-old campaign
> to switch that entire office to mozilla just came to a screeching halt.
>
> I didn't find a place in mozilla to change the user agent string. I might be
> able to put everyone behind a proxy that mangles the string, but I'm
> concerned that forcing everyone to surf through a proxy might break things
> here and there.

In Firefox (version 0.9.1 here), if you type about:config into the
address bar, you can filter for 'general.useragent'. That will give you
a list of 5 properties that control the user agent string.

Alternatively, you might want to take a look at the User Agent Switcher
extension, at http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/useragentswitcher

Hope this helps,
Kevin