Re: [Nolug] cox new orleans outage? - Cause and Explanation

From: -ray <ray_at_ops.selu.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 01:05:18 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Ron Johnson wrote:

> > Besides, you need the actual copper pair coming into your house. Not
> > easy to do if you don't have phone service.
>
> The Two Pair go into *everyone's* house.[1] They may not be hot,
> but they are there.

True, but it costs money to maintain the cable plant that provides copper
to every house. Bell claims the maintenance fee is built into your phone
bill. If/when you can order naked dsl with no voice from Bellsouth, they
still intend to collect this maintenance fee. I wouldn't be surprised if
naked DSL costs $10-$15 more than DSL bundled w/voice.

ray