Re: [Nolug] Professional Question

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 20:04:49 -0500

On Thursday 05 August 2004 6:40 pm, E. Strade, B.D. spake:
> On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 18:22:14 -0500, "Chris Reames"
>
> <chris@drugfreemro.com> said:
> > > Innovative ideas that you thought of at the office?
> >
> > Yes, to a degree, I worked for a company previously owned by some of the
> > same people.
> > This company no-longer exists, yet these people claim that their current
> > company has sole ownership of my knowledge.
>
> Your knowledge or what you have created while working for them? Also,
> did you sign a non-compete or anything like that? I'd say f*ck'em.
>
> > My understanding of the way this business works is based on general
> > information and common sense.
> >
> > Ok, lets try this...Somebody at work gives you a blank piece of paper and
> > asks 'What can you do with this?'.
> > You take the paper and fold it into a hat. You've never folded a paper
> > hat
> > and they've never had a paper hat.
> > ( big point, they don't pay you to fold paper into hats {ie programming}
> > )
> > Who owns the idea of folding the paper hat? Who owns the hat if they say
> > its stupid?
> >
> > Thats the delima I'm facing.
> > Also, if I can fold a piece of paper into anything else, they want to own
> > that as well.
>
> Let them keep the stupid hat. Once you leave, create a bigger and
> better hat on your own time.

I agree, and have stated as much. Fold the hat out of different paper, to
boot.

A quote from one of the slashdot links posted earlier (I'd paste it, but X is
acting up and won't copy it):

Steve Wozniak created the Apple computer while working for HP, offered it to
them, they refused, so he started his own company.

They refused to accept your hat, remember? Go open your own hat store.

Hmm... do you have emails to the effect that they refused your hat, and called
upon another hat maker instead?

"I may have invented it, but Bill made it famous."
 --- David Bradley, the IBM employee that invented CTRL-ALT-DEL