Re: [Nolug] networking question

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 14:49:59 -0500

On Friday 06 August 2004 2:23 pm, Friedrich Gurtler spake:
> Stupid question, but if you are going to forward all the ports, why not
> just put it on the other side of your linux box?
>
> ISP--------- Linux box
>
> | -------other box
>
> Is that what you are ruling out when you say the existing nat has to
> stay in place? Whats the reasoning behind it? (Just curious)

Nope, it's not possible to do that. The server resides in on location, and
another location needs to access it. It's an AS/400, so while I've tried to
forward telnet to the box, apparently it needs more than just that for
everything to work correctly. While forwarding selected ports is what I'd
rather do, it's going to be simpler to just stick the box on the net, having
it appear to be on a real IP, while remaining on a private IP so the host
location can continue to access it. I'm going to effectively forward all
possible ports to the box.

"I may have invented it, but Bill made it famous."
 --- David Bradley, the IBM employee that invented CTRL-ALT-DEL