RE: [Nolug] Professional Question

From: Chris Reames <chris_at_drugfreemro.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 16:19:44 -0500

That's not what they paid me to do. I'm a Network Engineer, not a
programmer.
The programmer that was "hired" to do this job could not complete it.
The programmer that was "asked" to do this job decided not to complete it.

No, but I (alone ?) understand the full aspects of tracking these hats from
every perspective, so my tracking application has more thought behind it and
functions properly. Most others I've seen are sorely lacking, hence the
assistance I was ordered to give competitors.

> Now, before you set up your own hat shop, did you sign a paper
No, but I was forced to sign a NDA twice for my Idea of attaching names to
hats from the clinic (err retail outlet)

> Does your company do anything fundamentally different from the other hat
shops in town?
Not really, but like I said my Hatware is easier to use and more powerful.
I have combined commonly found components into a coherent system

Background information: Homer Simpson is brought in to create a 'Package'.
He decides to use Access97/2000 as development/database environment.
I deliver a requirements document that I had designed (1998) before initial
employment with Company (2001).
Mr. Simpson fails miserably at his attempts (not knowing the business, and
not accept my guidance.
In a meeting I say my programmer and I can
There is no contract to create a 'Package'.
There was no contract for hosting services required for said 'Package'.
ok, Programmer works on javascript 'Package' at his shop, at his leisure.
Lots of bickering and BS generally associated where Owners haven't got a
clue.
Anyway, programmer is paid a Hosting Fee. Programmer stops doing any
development for almost 2 years and still gets his Hosting Fee.
I get aggravated with lack of progress, so I take initiative to write JSP
remotely on Programmers Box.
I am not paid to program as I said. I was not asked to do the programming.
I allowed use of the programming until Owners decide it costs too much to
pay Programmer Hosting Fees, and actually License Oracle as the Database.

I did include suggestions asked for by co-workers and clients (for example,
'it would be nice if it could do this')
Keep in mind that I did development after hours and maintained programmers
initial programming during the day.
I did use Company equipment to remotely access Programmers box for
corrections and after hours work, but no development environment was present
on Company computers.
AND Company verbally allowed use of Company equipment for personal
development.
For example, I developed web sites for Company's Clients. Company boasted
about my abilities and actively promoted my external services. They
allowed, and encouraged IT consulting to Clients they were entertaining and
allowed me to privately bill Client for my services.

I believe they have set a precidence of Private Development of Systems and
Services that benifit the Company financially, or in reputation.