Re: [Nolug] Professional Question

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 17:03:40 -0400

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

> On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 16:19 -0500, Chris Reames wrote:

>> That's not what they paid me to do. I'm a Network Engineer, not a
>> programmer.
>
> Doesn't matter.

It does matter.

A network engineer might not be asked to sign the same assignment of
intellectual property papers that a programmer would normally be
asked to sign.

If no IP papers were signed then the person who developed the ideas
can still claim ownership of them. Anything he implemented he won't
be able to keep ownership of, but the ideas themselves are his.

(That said, I've always been asked to sign IP assignment papers for my
jobs. The FSF always requires IP assignment papers from your
employer for any contributions to any GNU project that they manage.)

Mark.

--
A choice between one man and a shovel, or a dozen men with teaspoons
is clear to me, and I'm sure it is clear to you also.