Re: [Nolug] Using ssmtp to feed emails to my ISP

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 21:10:53 -0500

On Sat, 2004-08-07 at 09:25 -0500, Scott Harney wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> > I'd like to be able to use this as a "feeder", so that "all" my
> > users MTAs, plus things that only work with Sendmail, can send the
> > data to one place on the LAN, which then funnels it out to
> > smtp.east.cox.net.
> >
> > Would that work?
>
> Not really. you need to be able to receive mail from user's MTA's.
> SSMTP doesn't do that. It only does localhost. It would be good to use
> to feed your local mailhub from your local user boxes. Run a good solid
> simple mailer like postfix and set up "smtp.east.cox.net" as your
> relayhost. you only have to set about 4 variables in
> /etc/postfix/main.cf. You distribution may be smart enought to set that
> up with little intervention from you and you just stick 'relayhost =
> smtp.east.cox.net' at the end of that file.

In Debian, I run "dpkg-reconfigure postfix", and get these choices:
- No configuration
- Internet site
- Internet site with smarthost
- Satellite system
- Local only
- HP

Currently, my postfix is configured as "Local only".

Here is the description of "Internet site with smarthost":
"Internet site using smarthost - You receive Internet mail on this
machine, either directly by SMTP or by running a utility such as
fetchmail. Outgoing mail is sent using a smarthost. optionally with
addresses rewritten. This is probably what you want for a dialup
system."

That sounds like what I want to do, and I do use fetchmail.

Any thoughts?