Re: [Nolug] networking question

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 17:37:52 -0400

-ray <ray@ops.selu.edu> writes:

> I'd personally like to know what business this is, that can afford
> an AS400 but can't afford or be bothered with VPN/encrypted
> sessions.

Eh, try the DOI, as in "Department of the Interior". These are the
people who manage the drilling rights in the Gulf (as in MMS) as well
as Native American relations with the government.

A couple of years ago the entire DOI (including MMS there in Elmwood)
was taken off the net because of a case brought against it by some
Native Americans.

Seems that the DOI had an un-secured mainframe with lots of personal
data from said Native Americans. The judge ordered all network
connections severed until the problem was fixed.

Mark.

--
A choice between one man and a shovel, or a dozen men with teaspoons
is clear to me, and I'm sure it is clear to you also.