Re: [Nolug] networking question

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 08:10:41 -0500

On Sat, 2004-08-07 at 17:37 -0400, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
> -ray <ray@ops.selu.edu> writes:
>
> > I'd personally like to know what business this is, that can afford
> > an AS400 but can't afford or be bothered with VPN/encrypted
> > sessions.
>
> Eh, try the DOI, as in "Department of the Interior". These are the
> people who manage the drilling rights in the Gulf (as in MMS) as well
> as Native American relations with the government.
>
> A couple of years ago the entire DOI (including MMS there in Elmwood)
> was taken off the net because of a case brought against it by some
> Native Americans.
>
> Seems that the DOI had an un-secured mainframe with lots of personal
> data from said Native Americans. The judge ordered all network
> connections severed until the problem was fixed.

Earlier this year I read something about that. It didn't say why,
though.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA
PGP Key ID 8834C06B
Welfare Democracies will only work, in the long term, if the
"recipients" of the wealth given to them by the earners use that
wealth to become earners themselves. Unfortunately, only a small
% of "recipients" seem to be availing themselves of the
opportunity.