Re: [Nolug] debian kernel config

Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 01:43:05 -0500

Mark A. Hershberger wrote:

> Re-compiling to add things I can understand. Recompiling to remove
> things (when most drivers are modular) doesn't make much sense.
>
> Mark.

That would assume most things, as in features beside drivers, are
compiled as modules. I've found that a lot of extra stuff is still
compiled directly into the kernel binary itself in a default kernel
install. When Gentoo came out, one of the things that I liked was that
from the beginning you could set what you wanted before the kernel was
installed.