Re: [Nolug] debian kernel config

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 22:23:10 -0400

> That would assume most things, as in features beside drivers, are
> compiled as modules. I've found that a lot of extra stuff is still
> compiled directly into the kernel binary itself in a default kernel
> install. When Gentoo came out, one of the things that I liked was
> that from the beginning you could set what you wanted before the
> kernel was installed.

I've installed gentoo on my laptop (in addition to Debian) and, I've
got to say that the days I spent compiling things weren't worth any
performance improvements (which I didn't see).

How much of a difference to you actually see in a custom-compiled
kernel vs. a stock kernel?

Everything I've seen says that any performance improvement you'll see
is negligible. My experience confirms this.

Mark.

--
A choice between one man and a shovel, or a dozen men with teaspoons
is clear to me, and I'm sure it is clear to you also.