Re: [Nolug] A "keystroke learn" key in vim?

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 16:53:10 -0500

On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 16:23 -0500, -ray wrote:
> Yes, using maps. :map to see your current maps. Check out the chapter on
> maps at the vim faq: http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/vimfaq.html#20.1 .
> You could probably do some stuff with macros as well.

Thanks.

> The best thing about eve was block copy. Once i learned how to do that in

The best thing about it is that I know it... :)

> vim, it was all good. (we have vim installed on our VMS boxes)

I'd rather have EVE on Linux.

A rich text editor besides vim & emacs would be helpful.

BTW, do you still think of it as the Extensible VAX Editor, or
have you drunk the marketing kool-aid and so now think of it as
the Extensible Versatile Editor?

> ray
>
> On Fri, 20 Aug 2004, Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > EVE, the standard text editor of The World's Greatest OS, allows
> > me to
> > - press a "learn key"
> > - perform a bunch of keystrokes (quite complicated if desired)
> > - press a "save key"
> > - assign the anonymous macro to a key (usually a ctrl key)
> >
> > Then, one can press that key over an over and have the recorded
> > actions repeated.
> >
> > Is there similar functionality in vim?

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA
PGP Key ID 8834C06B
"I was provided with additional input that was radically
different from the truth. I assisted in furthering that version."
Colonel Oliver North