Re: [Nolug] Gmail accounts

From: Jesse Planck <jesse.planck_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 23:18:39 -0500

Not sure if I agree with WebDAV as a boring old standard.

1. WebDAV is designed specifically for Web authoring allowing
multi-user locking and control. It is very young as far as standards
go... 1999 or so? It is not for file serving, yet it can be used as
such.

2. It uses the http(s) protocol which means it runs natively on
Apache. You can mix and match Apache controls allowing a very diverse
set of access and control options. Also you only have one server
system to configure and deploy for Web publishing (no FTP server
needed). Pick your access method.. htpasswd... MySQL... etc.

3. Most people are familiar with the Windows broken version of WebDAV.
This turns people off quickly because most people don't know that to
interoperable with Windows you have to use WebDAV over https (which
you should do anyway if you are security conscious). Apache also fails
because they haven't finished the advanced child-process user controls
which should replace stupid suEXEC.

Just thought I would chime in.

jess