Re: [Nolug] If you want to get out of town for a month...

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 11:11:31 -0400

Chris Reames wrote:

> Select Democrats=(select count(voters) from tbl_state_list where vote LIKE
> 'yes', Republicans=(select count(voters) from tbl_state_list where vote LIKE
> 'no', Totals=(select count(voters) from tbl_state_list where vote is not
> null) from tbl_state_list where st_code='Florida'

I don't know why you guys are focusing on Florida. See
http://www.electoral-vote.com/ -- The states marked "barely" or "tied"
is where the focus is going. Florida is up for grabs, but this season
has also seen a lot of focus on Pennsylvania and Missouri (for example).

And while both candidates are using all the tools at their disposal, the
most upsetting one (for me) is that both campaigns already have legal
teams in every state with cases ready to bring to trial if they have the
slightest chance of gaining standing.

This USA Today article
(http://www.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/nation/president/2004-03-08-kerry-florida_x.htm)
talks about Kerry, but this TNR article
(http://tnr.com/doc.mhtml?i=20041004&s=rosen100404 -- registration
required) says "The Bush campaign plans to have party lawyers in every
state, including more than 30,000 precincts."

The whole article leaves me with the un-easy feeling that we won't see
national elections without legal challenges any more.

If I thought some SQL queries would help us avoid post-election legal
snafus, I'd be generating me some SQL queries.

Mark.