Re: [Nolug] um... i switched to debian

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 13:32:02 -0400

> Petri Laihonen wrote:
>> Has anyone sought up or stumbled upon any sites with "reliable" speed
>> tests between the distros in regular every day use?

Benchmarks never measure "every day use". Benchmarks are useless for
this sort of thing.

What you want is a machine that feels responsive, not one that is
"faster".

For instance, most modern OSes perform multi-tasking. It is easy to
demonstrate that computers that multi-task do not complete tasks as
quickly as those that perform those same tasks in batch mode. We
prefer multi-tasking because it feels like the system is more
responsive.

> None that I've ever seen... It sounds like a good idea to pursue
> though. Considering my BSD background, I'm partial to Gentoo, but I'd
> like to see some proof with benchmarks, etc. that other distros are
> faster even though they aren't built from source....

They are all built from source. The point of using pre-built binaries
is that one person compiles the system once (with a reasonably good
optimizing compiler) and everyone can use those binaries.

That is a far better use of computing time than having everyone
compile their own binaries.

(Gentoo seemed to need more compiling for installation than FreeBSD,
but that could just be that I used FBSD differently than Gentoo.)

Mark.

--
A choice between one man and a shovel, or a dozen men with teaspoons
is clear to me, and I'm sure it is clear to you also.