Re: [Nolug] um... i switched to debian

From: Petri Laihonen <pietu_at_weblizards.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 15:19:01 -0400 (EDT)

>> Petri Laihonen wrote:
>>> Has anyone sought up or stumbled upon any sites with "reliable" speed
>>> tests between the distros in regular every day use?
>
> Benchmarks never measure "every day use". Benchmarks are useless for
> this sort of thing.
>
> What you want is a machine that feels responsive, not one that is
> "faster".
>
> For instance, most modern OSes perform multi-tasking. It is easy to
> demonstrate that computers that multi-task do not complete tasks as
> quickly as those that perform those same tasks in batch mode. We
> prefer multi-tasking because it feels like the system is more
> responsive.
>
>> None that I've ever seen... It sounds like a good idea to pursue
>> though. Considering my BSD background, I'm partial to Gentoo, but I'd
>> like to see some proof with benchmarks, etc. that other distros are
>> faster even though they aren't built from source....
>
> They are all built from source. The point of using pre-built binaries
> is that one person compiles the system once (with a reasonably good
> optimizing compiler) and everyone can use those binaries.
>
> That is a far better use of computing time than having everyone
> compile their own binaries.
>
> (Gentoo seemed to need more compiling for installation than FreeBSD,
> but that could just be that I used FBSD differently than Gentoo.)
>
> Mark.

Good points!

I definitely agree with the point of responsiveness. For example my
sub-Ghz dual machine (win2k) is far more responsive than my wifes 1.6 Ghz
single cpu machine. (Used to be win2k, now XP which also slows it down
presumably.)

However, surprisingly my second desktop with exactly same dual sub-Ghz
hardware, but with faster videocard, and fedora2 on it, actually feels
slower than win2k. I'm still going towards linux on main desktop :)

Anyway, what I gathered with quick googling, many opinions go towards
gentoo as "fastest" distro. Naturally taken that all compile time flags
are optimised for the underlying hardware.

Petri