RE: [Nolug] Cox Connection Dropping

From: John Souvestre <johns_at_sstar.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 21:45:40 -0500

Hi Matt.

You are halfway there. Run a traceroute to the site that you are having
trouble staying connected to. This will show you the path that your outgoing
packets take. Now ping the sites along this path till you find the hop where
the packet loss seems to start. The problem is either the last good hop, the
first bad hop, or the link between them - or it's on the return path which
might be different.

If the bad spot is far out there isn't much that you can do about it. If it
is close to you, then you have the evidence needed to call your ISP and have
them look into it.

John

    John Souvestre - Southern Star - (504) 888-3348 - www.sstar.com