[Nolug] Cox Connection Dropping

From: Charles Jouglard <pcguy1_at_cox.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 22:09:45 -0500

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 15:22:36 -0500 (CDT), David John wrote:
Well if it's a Motorola Modem, have a look at http://192.168.100.1
and look at the modem logs. This may give you some insight as to where
the problem is. Good luck getting help from anyone at Cox.

Dave

On Tue, October 12, 2004 6:39 am, Matthew Landry said:
> A friend of mine is having some problems with his net connection. Most
> notably, he cannot play any of his online games. Whether its XBOX or
> PS2, he gets booted from the games before he can even start to play.
>
> Thinking maybe it was his router, he has tried plugging directly into
> the cable modem and he still has the same problem.
>
> He also got another friend to bring over his PS2 and his Cat5 cable, but
> had the same problem.
>
> In addition, he says that if he leaves GAIM on overnight, he'll have
> 10-20 disconnects.
>
> He has also tried pinging yahoo.com to see if he could get any more
> evidence. Sometimes he can ping for hours and get negligable packet
> loss, but sometimes only after a few minutes tons of packets are getting
> dropped.
>
> Lately the same thing has been happening to me, only not so severe. I
> can get on the PS2 and play online for about 15-30 minutes before I get
> booted. In addition, leaving GAIM on overnight will result in 3-5
> disconnects.
>
> At this point neither of us know who to ask. I figure'd I'd take a shot
> to see if any of you guys have or are having the same problems we're
> having or have any suggestions as to what the problem may be.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Matt
>
> P.S. sorry if this is a dupe, I sent it awhile back but didn't receive it.

Matthew,
Sounds like a routing issue from what you've described. Try running a
traceroute to the server you are connecting to and see at what point you get
dropped.

Once you have that information we can determine if the challenge you are facing
is within our network or out on the Internet.

Contrary to what Dave thinks we are here to help.

Call me once you've got this information and determine the challenge is within
our network.

Thank you,
Charles Jouglard
CHSI Senior System Engineer
Cox Louisiana, LLC
504-417-3627

Disclaimer: These comments and the associated pages and files are not endorsed
by Cox Communications, Inc., Cox Louisiana, LLC, Cox Business Services, Inc.
Cox.Net or anyone else other than myself. These same comments, pages, files,
etc., are in no way associated with any of the entities listed above. If anyone
thinks otherwise, they are sadly mistaken.

Legal Notice: This electronic mail message and any attached files contain
information intended for the exclusive use of the individual to whom it is or
has been originally addressed and may contain information that is proprietary,
privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law.
You are hereby forbidden to transfer said electronic mail message by any means
without permission of the sender. If you are not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any viewing, copying, disclosure or distribution of
this information may be subject to legal restriction or sanction, or punishable
under Louisiana Revised Statutes RS 14:73.1, or applicable U.S. Federal
Statutes. Please notify the sender, by electronic mail or telephone, of any
unintended recipients and delete the original message without making any copies.