Re: [Nolug] 64-bit athlon?

From: -ray <ray_at_ops.selu.edu>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 01:25:35 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004, Jeff Lee wrote:

> I am taking assembly/computer arch. at LSU and I'd love to answer this
> question BUT we are still stuck in the stone age when processors were
> numbered and not named ...8086... I wish we could move on to some new, more
> useful information.

It's still useful information. A P4 can do everything that the 8086 can
do. The instructions are the same and still relevant. Some might even
say the 8086 is too complex for a beginning assembly/computer arch course.
And trust me, when it's exam/final project time, you'll be GLAD you only
have to know the 8086 instruction set and not the P4 or Athlon64
instruction set.

ray