Re: [Nolug] Non-functioning disc drives

From: Jay Latham <jlat_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 09:52:39 -0500

John Tiedeman wrote:
> (1) Seagate ST380013A. Bought at BB, still under warranty so I took it
> there to be checked. They couldn't get it to come up either. If it
> would, they would pull data to a DVD for $90, and there is some on it
> that had never been backed up (mostly saved e-mail) and some that hadn't
> been backed up as recently as usual. When I try to boot from it, it
> hangs at GRUB. I can't get it to take a reload. Is anyone else likely to
> be able to extract data before I send it back to Seagate for a replacement?
>
> (2) WD600. Has been unusable since May, when I bought (1) above to
> replace it. Any ideas on trying to get it to do something? It doesn't
> even get to GRUB.
>
> (3) ST340016A. Don't remember when bought. Was working until after the
> above problem with (1) started. Moving it from one computer to another
> has caused kernel panic in either computer. No data I really need here,
> but if the disc is repairable I can always use it, if only as a spare.
>
> That leaves me with only a very old 3G drive, loaded with w2k and an old
> HP OmniBook loaded with w95 to access the internet. The OmniBook, of
> course, is impossibly slow. I hope that Windows vulerabilities are
> reduced to a tolerable level working through a Siemens 5360 ethernet
> bridge, Siemens 2614 router, and Firefox 1.0PR.

Did they all go down at once? The reason I ask is this happened to me
about a month ago. I came home from work to find that every computer I
had left running (3) had a crashed hd. On the boxes that had more than
one hd only the master was crashed. Different brands too.
1. IBM Deskstar 20GB mfg date 22Jan02. This one seems to work but once
it warms up the puter locks up and if I do an immediate reboot the bios
reports no hd installed. But if I let it cool down for a couple it boots
right up.

2. WD Caviar 20GB mfg 30Aug01 BIOS reports at boot the the hd is
reporting it is about to crash (?) Maybe is I disable SMART it might
work but I'm not taking a chance.

3. Maxtor 80GB mfg 11Nov03 This one was reusable. Fdisk reported invalid
partition table. After formatting and repartitioning it is working fine.
It's in the box I'm using to write this.

Fortunately all I lost was about 40GB of mp3's but I had all those
backed up on a box that was not on that day. And of course all my
personal bookmarks and settings.

My first thought was that I had been hacked but the logs on my gateway
deny this. All boxes are connected to UPS's so it wasn't a surge.

I'm still scratching my head over this one.

Jay